Mike began his career with Conoco Inc. in 1982 and served in various positions including financial analysis, internal reviews, joint interest accounting, negotiation of agreements, and settlements of joint interest and revenue disputes. Mike joined Martindale Consultants, Inc. in 1995, and with his vast knowledge and experience in joint venture accounting, Mike has provided the additional foundation to manage and provide clients with exceptional quality in our compliance reviews. Mike is considered a prominent authority on Gulf of Mexico joint venture accounting issues and has performed international reviews in Australia, Barbados, and Brazil.
Mike’s expertise includes:
- Testifying as an expert witness in state and federal court on subjects including joint venture claims and custom and practice in applying exploration agreements, joint operating agreements, and Accounting Procedure provisions in oil and gas operations.
- Overseeing compliance reviews for domestic U.S. and international joint venture projects.
- Overseeing compliance reviews for Gulf of Mexico Shelf and Deepwater joint venture projects.
- Overseeing client in-house projects on COPAS Accounting Procedure applications for various joint venture accounting issues.
- Assisting clients in resolving complex joint venture accounting issues for both operated and non-operated ventures.
Mike has actively served in various capacities in the Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS). COPAS positions held include:
- President of COPAS
- President of COPAS of Acadiana
- Chair of COPAS of Acadiana Audit Committee
- Chair of the COPAS National Audit Committee
- Chair of the COPAS National emerging Issues Sub-Committee
- Two terms as Director on the COPAS National Board of Directors
- Chair of several COPAS Publication Drafting Committees
- Key participant in drafting COPAS 2005 Accounting Procedure
- Recipient of the 2004 COPAS Eagle Award
- Developer of Knowing Your COPAS Documents (KYCD) Series
- Participant on several COPAS National committees and task forces
Mike is an experienced speaker on Joint Venture oil and gas accounting topics for both public and private audiences.